Match Report | Grimsby Town 0 – 0 Sutton United

Grimsby Town shared the points with Sutton United after a goalless draw at Blundell Park.

In a scrappy encounter played in windy conditions, both sides created chances but neither could force a breakthrough.

Sutton looked the more dangerous for much of the first half but Town had the ball in the net from an Anthony Glennon corner, although the referee disallowed the goal and blew for a foul.

After the break, substitute Aribim Pepple went close after a mistake in the away defence, while the visitors had some pressure from corners but in the end, both sides had to settle for a point.

Stephen Wearne was preferred to Danny Amos in the only change to the Grimsby starting line-up following Tuesday’s abandoned clash with Carlisle United.

Max Crocombe was the goalkeeper, with Michee Efete, Luke Waterfall, Andy Smith and Glennon forming the defence.  Gavan Holohan, Kieran Green and Bryn Morris were the midfielders, with Brendan Kiernan and Wearne either side of striker Ryan Taylor.

Amos was named on the bench, where he was joined by Ollie Battersby, Shaun Pearson, Pepple, Jordan Maguire-Drew, Harry Clifton and Jordan Cropper.

Sutton were level with the Mariners on four points in the league table at kick-off, although Matt Gray’s men had played a game more.

The visitors were looking to bounce back after losing at Crewe in midweek and would look to the likes of strikers Kwame Thomas and Donovan Wilson to cause problems for the Town defence.

An early volley from Wilson was blocked, before a foul on Harry Beautyman by Holohan gave the away side a free kick in a dangerous, central position on four minutes.  Enzio Boldewijn’s shot from it came back off the home wall.

Town seemed to be struggling to adapt to the windy conditions and they were yet to threaten as the 10-minute mark approached but a good build-up down the left brought their first opportunity, with Holohan firing a 20-yard strike just wide after being found by Green.

Waterfall was in the right place to clear after a driving run from Josh Neufville into the penalty area on 14 minutes, then Boldewijn sent a header across goal and just wide after meeting a cross from the away left.

Crocombe had to race off his line to deny Wilson after a mistake by Waterfall, before a push gave Town a free kick inside the Sutton half but Waterfall was penalised for a foul as he climbed to head Glennon’s ball.

A long throw from Joe Kizzi on the right led to Wilson volleying wide and as the visitors continued to look the more threatening, they won a corner on the left on 26 minutes but it was headed clear by Waterfall.

A cross from Kiernan was cleared on the half-hour, before a ball into the box at the other end from Kizzi was eventually brought clear by Holohan.  Town broke and a run from Kiernan was unfairly stopped just outside the box by defender Louis John.  He was shown the first yellow card of the game and Glennon’s free kick was then deflected over the bar for a corner.

From the flag, the Mariners thought they had taken the lead as Glennon’s ball was pushed into the net by keeper Jack Rose.  It looked like the referee was pointing towards the centre spot to signal a goal but instead, he had blown for a foul and a Sutton free kick.

Holohan fired over the bar from 20 yards soon afterwards, before a foul by Waterfall just inside his own half earned him a booking.

A chip to the far post by Glennon was headed behind for a corner on 44 minutes after a good break by Kiernan.  Glennon’s delivery was headed out by Thomas for another one and this time, Waterfall was beaten to the ball in the air but Town kept possession until the offside flag went up against Smith.

Two added minutes were played at the end of the half an another stoppage came for John to receive treatment after going down following a challenge with Taylor in the air.

No further opportunities came before the half-time whistle, with the game remaining goalless at the break.

No changes were made before the restart and a late challenge by Holohan on Sutton captain Craig Eastmond earned the midfielder a yellow card two minutes in.  Rob Milsom’s free kick was headed clear by Smith.

Another away free kick came seconds later, this time on the right, but Milsom’s delivery was eventually cleared by Glennon.

Wilson sent a snap-shot wide following another free kick, then a shot by the striker was blocked at the near post soon afterwards after a throw-in from the left.

Smith then did well to get in front of Wilson and get the ball back to Crocombe as the striker looked to get on the end of a long pass.

A nice build-up down the Town left resulted in a throw-in, which in turn led to a corner on the left, although the offside flag went up as Glennon’s ball was headed on.

Pepple replaced Morris and Clifton came on for Kiernan as the Mariners made a double-substitution just before the hour, with Pepple joining Taylor up front as they changed to a 4-4-2 formation.

Soon afterwards, a low, driven ball across the box from Efete beat everybody as the hosts looked to up the tempo.

Kylian Kouassi and Will Randall replaced Thomas and Neufville as the visitors responded with two changes of their own.

A Sutton corner on 64 minutes led to another one as a far-post header was blocked.  The pressure continued as Crocombe punched the ball out for a third consecutive flag-kick but this time, Boldewijn’s delivery landed on the roof of the net.

Smith conceded another corner on 68 minutes but the ball from the flag was headed over the bar by Kizzi.

Milsom had another chance to put the ball in from the right corner flag five minutes later but a far-post header was blocked by Efete.

Moments later, the Mariners were gifted the best chance of the game so far as a mistake by Milsom left Pepple with a clear run into the box from the left channel.  The striker was unable to capitalise though as his shot was blocked by the onrushing Rose for a corner, which was cleared.

Maguire-Drew was sent on in place of Wearne and Alistair Smith came on for Beautyman as both sides made another change with 16 minutes to go.

A handball by Taylor gave Sutton a free kick midway inside the Town half but Boldewijn’s delivery from it was poor and a foul gave the Mariners a free kick.

Pepple curled a shot towards the bottom corner of the net on 81 minutes but Rose dived to push the ball away from goal.

Green then did well to stop Randall as the away side looked to create some danger of their own.

Sutton’s Smith sent a low strike through to Crocombe, before a low effort by Clifton was stopped at the other end as both teams searched for a breakthrough.

Green and Boldewijn were both booked for their reactions after Kouassi stayed down following a challenge with Waterfall in the air.

Pepple and Taylor then both saw shots blocked in quick succession, before Luke Gambin and Tope Fandahunsi came on for Wilson and Bolderwijn as the away side made their final two substitutions with two minutes remaining.

Six minutes of added time were played and Taylor had a chance to win the game late on but keeper Ross came out and dived at his feet to keep the scores level and preserve a point for his side.

Town are next in action on Tuesday, when they host Premier League Nottingham Forest in the second round of the Carabao Cup.


Get all the latest news from Blundell Park.

Skip to content P