Women’s Team Report | Mariners beat Lincoln on Penalties

Our women’s team made it through in the League Cup following a penalty shoot-out triumph over Lincoln United Development team las Sunday.

Grimsby made a positive start to the game, getting on the front foot and creating some good early openings. Beth Wharton was first to test the visiting keeper, one-on-one she saw an effort denied by a great stop.

Town came again as their pressure continued, good build up play created a chance for Alisha DeJonge but she failed to convert as the away side escaped another Town attack.

Leah Wray was next to see an effort pass by, a raking switch of play by Eden Pederson put Wray through, at the back post she fired into the side netting.

The hosts continued to create chances but couldn’t break the deadlock with the Lincoln goal living a charmed life.

A turning point in the game came as Town were reduced to ten, Pederson was given her marching orders for dissent. The sending off forced Grimsby into tactical tweaks to see out the first 45 at 0-0.

At the break Lily Jacklin was replaced by Evie Revell, the ten of Grimsby continued to press and weren’t put off by the challenge of being a player down.

It was however, the visitors that broke the deadlock. A well worked passage of play ended with a smart finish finding the top left corner to beat Chloe Gray.

Town reacted well to going behind, Wharton again came close to netting, again one-on-one, this time she shot agonisingly wide of the target.

The hosts were given a golden opportunity to equalise which they dually took from 18 yards.

Lincoln failed to clear a corner initially before the ball struck an arm, the referee pointed to the spot. Town captain Danielle Brighton stepped up and slotted her effort away to tie the game.

Both sides created changes in the latter stages of the game with neither managing to find the winning goal, extra-time was to follow.

Lincoln started extra-time the better of the two sides and re-took the lead following a number of chances that went begging.

Despite going behind for the second time with a player less the hosts re-grouped and managed to strike back and equalise again.

Grimsby won a free kick in a dangerous position, Olivia Kershaw stepped up and hit a wonderful strike which found the top corner leaving the Lincoln goalkeeper with no chance.

The game neared the end of the 120 minutes with the two sides locked in a stalemate more chances came and went for both, penalties were to be needed to decide the tie.

Brighton replicated her earlier penalty putting the hosts ahead before Lincoln equalised, DeJonge then hit her spot kick agonisingly wide before Gray produced a big save to keep the score level.

Kershaw, Pariss Welsh and Revell all scored for Town as both sides couldn’t be separated with the visitors continuing to respond.

Grimsby went ahead again (5-4) through goalkeeper Gray who fired home, Lincoln once more converted to take the game to sudden death.

Wharton held her nerve to apply the pressure on Lincoln who had to score, fortunately for town Lincoln failed to convert as Grimsby won the game 6-5 on penalties advancing in the League Cup.

Next up for Town is a return to league action against Rotherham at Oasis Wintringham on Sunday.

Town: Chloe Gray, Harriet Dalton, Olivia Kerhsaw, Leah Wray, Sophie Gray, Danielle Brighton, Eden Pedersen, Pariss Welsh, Beth Wharton, Alisha DeJonge, Lily Jacklin.

Subs: Evie Revell, Hermione Clapham.




Get all the latest news from Blundell Park.

Skip to content P