Match Report | Salford City 1 – 1 Grimsby Town

Grimsby Town picked up a point on the road as they drew with Salford City at the Peninsula Stadium.

The Mariners suffered a nightmare start as Theo Vassell’s header from a corner opened the scoring for the hosts with only two minutes on the clock.

But the visitors grew into the game and Lewis Richardson’s first goal for the club levelled the scores just before the half-hour.

Both teams had opportunities to win it, with substitute Danilo Orsi going close for Town in front of the 1,309 travelling supporters, but in the end, a draw was a fair reflection of an even contest.

Grimsby boss Paul Hurst made five changes to his starting XI following the home defeat by Carlisle United on Tuesday, as he looked for a reaction from his side.

Back in came Andy Smith, Anthony Glennon, Gavan Holohan, Richardson and Aribim Pepple, with Michee Efete, Danny Amos, Jordan Maguire-Drew, Keyendrah Simmonds and Ryan Taylor making way.

Goalkeeper Max Crocombe lined up behind a back three of Smith, Luke Waterfall and Niall Maher, with Glennon and Harry Clifton operating as wing-backs. Holohan, Alex Hunt and Otis Khan made up the midfield, while Richardson linked up with Pepple in attack.

Maguire-Drew and Simmonds were both named on the bench, alongside newly-signed goalkeeper Jamie Pardington, Kieran Green, Shaun Pearson, Orsi and Brendan Kiernan.

Salford came into the game on a good run of form, having won four of their last six in the league and with just two defeats so far this campaign.

Leading scorer Ryan Watson would be looking to add to his three goals so far, while strikers Odin Bailey and Callum Hendry would also be aiming to pose a major threat to the Town defence.

Smith headed a cross from Luke Bolton on the home right behind for the game’s first corner in the second minute and from it, Salford took the lead as VASSELL got to the ball from the flag first and sent a near-post header into the net.

A foul on Holohan on nine minutes gave Town their first opportunity to put pressure on the home goal but Hunt’s free kick was cleared by Matthew Lund at the edge of the penalty area and when the ball was played back in, the offside flag went up against Waterfall.

The Mariners won their first corner when a ball down the line from Clifton on the right was deflected out. Glennon’s delivery was punched clear by home keeper Jacob Chapman but Town kept possession until a mis-kick from Smith as he attempted to shoot from 18 yards.

Crocombe had to push a 20-yard shot from Watson away from goal after Lund and Hendry linked up in a quick break, then a foul by Glennon on Bolton gave Salford a free kick, midway inside the Town half. They were unable to cause any problems from it though, as the offside flag went up.

Clifton saw a shot blocked soon afterwards after cutting in from the right, before Waterfall did well to win a challenge inside his own penalty area to stop a home attack.

A chance for Pepple came on 17 minutes but after meeting Glennon’s cross from the left, the striker was unable to test Chapman.

Khan then did well to chase the ball down and stop it from going out for a goal kick but after he pulled it back across goal, nobody in black and white was in the right place to apply a finish.

Hendry got the wrong side of Waterfall to create an opening for Salford on 20 minutes but the defender recovered well to get back and make a block, then Watson fired over the bar from distance after Hunt had lost possession.

The game was moving from end to end and a cross from Khan led to a Town corner, which turned into another one. This time, the ball dropped for Waterfall but his shot on the turn was blocked by Vassell.

Lund lifted a shot over the bar from 25 yards at the other end seconds later, before Glennon conceded a corner after a low ball from the home left. The delivery from the flag was just too far ahead of Hendry for him to connect with a header at the far post, then Waterfall was fouled as he cleared the return ball.

Glennon did well to win a corner on 29 minutes after a chip over the top from Khan down the left. And from it, the Mariners were level as Hunt’s delivery bounced off the far post and RICHARDSON reacted the quickest to poke the loose ball into the net from close range.

Town now had the momentum and Hunt blasted over the bar from 25 yards after an attempt by Richardson was blocked, then Chapman got fingertips to a curling effort from Khan to tip it away for a corner on the right, which led to a free kick for a foul on the keeper.

A home corner came soon afterwards but caused no problems, then good hold-up play by Pepple led to a free kick for a foul on the striker.

After a frenetic period in the game, a stoppage came on 37 minutes when Hendry went down with an injury. The striker was passed fit to play on after receiving treatment.

Khan was spoken to by the referee after tripping Vassell in frustration following a duel where the defender came out on top.

A shot from Hendry bounced over the bar moments later after a cross from the home left was headed down, then a foul by Waterfall led to a Salford free kick on their right, which was caught by Crocombe.

The hosts were looking more threatening as the interval approached and Lund will feel he should have put his side ahead again after Hendry played a low ball across for him but Crocombe stuck a foot out to block the midfielder’s shot and keep the scores level.

Two added minutes were played and a cross from Richardson on the left proved too high for Pepple but the return ball from Clifton on the right was blocked for a corner. Glennon’s ball from the flag was headed away in what turned out to be the last action of the half.

Ash Eastham replaced Jason Lowe for the home side before the restart and Town looked to have the first opening when Richardson played a ball through for Holohan but the attack was stopped by the offside flag.

Hendry fired off-target three minutes in after a good build-up by Salford, led by the influential Lund, then Clifton stayed down after blocking a cross from Ibou Touray but was soon back into the action.

Another Touray cross was comfortably collected by Crocombe, before a similar ball from Khan at the other end was claimed by Chapman.

Clifton won a corner in what was turning into a good spell by the Mariners but Glennon’s ball from it was too high and beat everybody as it curled out for a goal kick.

Orsi replaced Pepple in Grimsby’s first change on 56 minutes and a foul on Richardson two minutes later brought a free kick in a promising position on the right. Green came on for Khan before it was taken, then Hunt’s ball was eventually cleared after Waterfall had headed it on.

A corner came seconds later after another Waterfall header across goal was put over the top but this time, the ball was caught by Chapman.

Clifton was shown the first yellow card of the afternoon for a foul on Touray but the free kick was headed clear.

Crocombe did well to prevent a corner after a shot from Ethan Galbraith took a deflection, then a cross from the home left was flicked wide by Hendry.

Chapman made himself big to make a block from Green after a clever ball into the box by Clifton as Town continued to look for openings.

Lorent Tolaj then replaced Lund for Salford and Kiernan came on for Richardson in the colours of Town as both teams made another substitution on 70 minutes.

Hunt missed the target with a drive from 20 yards after good play by Kiernan on the right, before a corner came on the right on 77 minutes. Smith connected with a header from Glennon’s flag-kick but it lacked power and was cleared.

Salford launched a quick break straight away and Maher had to head behind for a corner. Matt Smith replaced Bailey before it was taken and the danger from the flag was dealt with by the Town defence.

The Mariners went close on 82 minutes when a clever flick from Kiernan created a chance but Orsi was unable to capitalise as he sent his shot wide of the far post.

Glennon won a corner three minutes later and it was headed behind for another one. This time, a huge handball appeal came from the Town fans behind the goal but the referee pointed for a third consecutive corner and as it was cleared, the referee blew for a foul and a home free kick.

Crocombe got down to stop a shot from substitute Smith, then a volley from Touray was blocked as the home side looked for a late winner.

Four added minutes were played and Town were ending the match strongly, with Green narrowly failing to connect with a volley and then sending a low shot wide.

But in the end, the game’s crucial third goal was not to come and both sides had to settle for a point each.

The Mariners are next in action on Saturday, when they host Crawley Town at Blundell Park.


Get all the latest news from Blundell Park.

Skip to content P