Shadow Scholarship Secure All Three Points

The Iron started the day 3 places and 9 points behind the Mariners, with Grimsby being in a good position to overtake Doncaster at the top of the table.

The game started in a scrappy fashion as Town began the game in a different shape to normal, which caused Scunthorpe a few problems with Atterby and Wootton linking up well down the right-hand sign, however, neither team could fashion a chance. The first big chance of the game was tucked away by Scunthorpe, as the ball was tapped in by the Iron striker, after Tudbury’s save from a Scunthorpe cross.

After 40 minutes the Mariners changed their shape, which helped them begin to keep the ball better and control the centre of the pitch a bit. After Leggett went off injured, coming out of a 50/50 worse for wear, the introduction of Edwards occurred, which spurred on a Town comeback. Right on half time, Dunn won a free kick on the edge of the box, which Edwards placed into the top corner. Both teams went in even at halftime.

Town started the second half the stronger side, now dominating the Iron in most areas of the park. It only took 4 minutes in the second half for Town to take the lead for the first time in the game, as an Edwards strike from the edge of the area nestled into the bottom corner.

Town for the rest of the half dominated possession, with Scunthorpe not seeing much of the ball, making Tudbury a bystander for the majority of the second half. Town’s pressure paid off, as in the 77th minute an Edwards through ball found Wrigley inside the Iron box, and he tucked the ball into the bottom right corner to seal the game for the Mariners. Grimsby saw out the final 15 minutes or so in a professional manner.

Overall a solid performance from Grimsby saw them walk off 3-1 winners and close the gap on Doncaster Rovers at the top of the EFL U19 CEFA NL1 to just 1 point with 2 games in hand.

Written by Rhys Wrigley- Shadow Scholar


Get all the latest news from Blundell Park.

Skip to content P