Match Report: Bolton Wanderers 0-0 Grimsby Town

Grimsby Town picked up their first point of the season as they held Bolton Wanderers to a goalless draw.

In a game of few genuine chances at the University of Bolton Stadium, the Mariners worked hard and defended well throughout.

The hosts had more of the ball in attacking areas but were unable to make it count as Town – back in action after an enforced two weeks away from football – held firm at the back.

The visitors grew in confidence as the game went on and created opportunities of their own but ultimately, neither side was able to force a breakthrough.

Owen Windsor, the latest of Town’s 14th summer signings, was given his debut from the start in a team showing five changes from the 4-0 home defeat by Salford City last time out.

Luke Hendrie, Mattie Pollock, Luke Waterfall and Danny Rose were the others to come back into the team.

James McKeown started in goal behind a defence of Hendrie, Pollock, Waterfall and Danny Preston, with Rose, Harry Clifton, George Williams and Terry Taylor beginning the game in midfield as Matt Green partnered Windsor in attack.

The Grimsby substitutes were Ollie Battersby, Sean Scannell, Montel Gibson, Bilel Mohsni, Owura Edwards, James Tilley and Duncan Idehen.

Bolton came into the game after picking up their first points of the season in an away victory against Harrogate Town last week.

Among the main threats in their starting XI would be attackers Eoin Doyle and Nathan Delfouneso.

The Mariners started brightly and had the first shot of the game on three minutes, although Williams could only send a weak effort wide of the far post from 20 yards.

At the other end, a cross from Jamie Mascoll failed to find a target after a strong run through the middle by Delfouneso.

A foul on Taylor gave Town a free kick on the right on 17 minutes but Williams’ ball was headed away by Ricardo Almeida-Santos.

A good move soon afterwards resulted in a corner when Taylor’s low cross was cut out, although Williams’ ball from the flag beat everybody and went out for a goal kick.

Town had started well and they won another corner on 21 minutes, which was punched clear by home keeper Billy Crellin.

A foul by Rose on Delfouneso gave the home side a free kick in a dangerous position four minutes later but Ali Crawford’s shot from it flashed wide of McKeown’s far post for a goal kick.

Another shot from Crawford was blocked after the ball broke to him inside the Grimsby penalty area, with Bolton starting to put pressure on after the visitors’ confident opening to the game.

At the other end, a Williams free-kick went out for a throw-in after Windsor had been fouled inside the Bolton half.

A chance for the hosts came when Antoni Sarcevic was fouled by Preston on the right edge of the Town box but Crawford’s ball was cleared by Rose for a corner, which was punched clear by McKeown.

Bolton won another three corners in quick succession around the 37-minute mark and the third led to a free kick on the edge of the penalty area after a foul by Rose. Crawford sent his shot just wide.

The home side were doing most of the attacking as the interval loomed but Town had defended well and they saw out the remainder of the half, including one minute of additional time, to keep the score goalless.

No changes were made before the restart and Hendrie did well to win a free kick on the right four minutes in. Williams’ delivery was poor though and the ball went out for a Bolton throw-in.

Green was booked after catching Santos with an elbow, before a Preston cross from the left was blocked to give the Mariners a corner. Williams’ delivery from the flag was not dealt with and Rose crossed from the opposite flank but this time, the ball was headed clear.

Hendrie fired over the bar from 20 yards soon afterwards, before Delfouneso was off-target with an attempt at the other end.

Edwards and Gibson replaced Green and Williams as Town made a double substitution on 63 minutes, with Alex Baptiste then coming on in place of Jak Hickman for the home side.

A home corner from Crawford was headed clear by Pollock, before a shot by Windsor went wide.

Sarcevic was shown the yellow card for a foul on Taylor just inside the Town half, before Gibson dragged a low shot wide of the far post after good build-up play.

Bolton went close to opening the scoring on 73 minutes when a Crawford corner was met by Baptiste but his volley bounced just wide of the target.

Hendrie then won a corner at the other end after good play by Gibson but Rose’s ball was headed away by Ryan Delaney.

Former Town loanee Brandon Comley and Liam Gordon were sent on in place of Andrew Tutte and Mascoll on 76 minutes, with Scannell replacing Windsor for Town at the same time.

Taylor fired off-target after being found by Edwards, while Grimsby’s next chance also resulted in a goal kick as Edwards sent the ball over the bar from 18 yards.

The fourth official signalled six additional minutes to be played, with both teams still looking to break the deadlock and snatch all three points.

Edwards was fouled by Santos in the last of the added minutes to give the Mariners a free kick on the edge of the box. Santos was booked before Rose’s delivery was headed clear.

A Town corner was dealt with in what proved to be the last opportunity of the game, with both sides taking a point each from the contest.

The Mariners are next in action on Tuesday, when they travel to Cheltenham Town for a rearranged fixture.

Town: McKeown, Hendrie, Pollock, Waterfall, Preston, Rose, Clifton, Williams, Taylor, Windsor, Green.

Subs: Battersby, Scannell, Gibson, Mohsni, Edwards, Tilley, Idehen.


Get all the latest news from Blundell Park.

Skip to content P